Allergies & Mold-The Perfect Pair

    Are you still struggling with allergies? They haven’t seemed to go away this year – having not had a truly hard frost, the congestion and itchy eyes have been a lingering bother for many.

    What you may not realize is that after pollen levels drop, it may not be your typical hay fever, rather the infamous mold causing these symptoms. About 10 percent of allergy sufferers are sensitive to mold spores.

    I know we all reject the idea of mold spores growing in our home, and remain that we take exceptional care, but there are some places you may not have thought of that are great environments for these pesky fungi.

    1. Your Dishwasher

    You’d think a cleaning appliance would be clean, right? Thing again. When tests, 62%

    of dishwashers had mold (especially in those rubber seals.) 56% contained black yeast which is toxic to humans.

    So, leave that dishwasher door cracked open or wipe it down with a towel. Also, don’t put damp dishes away until they’re dry.

    2. Herbal Medicinal Plants

    Herbal meds are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)yet in one study 90 percent of the samples had mold.  70 percent had fungi levels exceeding what’s considered an “acceptable amount” and 31 percent were identified as harmful to humans.

    3. Toothbrush

    I’ve always used multiple toothbrushes because this one grossed me out – turns out I wasn’t too far off.  You want your toothbrush to be dry to prevent mold growth.  If you have a power toothbrush, look at the head to find out if it’s a hollow-head or solid-head (You can tell by the way it connects to the base of the toothbrush) you want to aim for as little space as possible which means solid-head toothbrushes are best when preventing mold growth.

    Refrain from using covers (especially when traveling) it’s best to let it get fully dry to prevent mold growth.

    Trackback from your site.